The Fairfield National Bank began business March 2, 1903 with a capital of $60,000. The new institution was a successor to the respected, nine-year-old Pendleton, Johns, and Company banking business and the earlier E. Bonham & Company Bank. The conservative, community-minded financial policies of the bank produced steady, solid growth even in difficult times. When Fairfield National accepted the assets and liabilities of the First National Bank on November 23, 1931, the combined $1,500,000 capital assured long-term stability. The original 2 ½ story brick and limestone building on Main and Third Streets has anchored the town’s skyline and business district for over a century. In 1971 a modern banking home was erected, which continues to serve the community’s varied financial needs.